Moderating is Anything but Moderate
I quickly discovered that moderating is not easy. The amount of posts that come in every day can quickly get overwhelming, especially if you have other things on your plate. It was difficult to keep up with all the comments that were being left on the page.
By the middle of the week, I realized that I needed to change something about my approach. I set up alerts for the Google+ community on my phone so that I could reply to posts if I was free. If not, I scheduled a time period every day to check back in with the community. One scheduled daily check-in + alerts = success.
One thing that I discovered while moderating this week is the fact that contests work. Janine McElhone had mentioned on the Google+ community that she used Klout to measure some metrics on her social media pages. I checked out the website myself and found that it was very interesting to see the metrics on your own personal social media sites. It displays the impact that you have on your friends or followers through a variety of graphs and statistics, then sums it all up in a Klout Score.
I thought that visiting this site could be beneficial to everyone in the class, but it is repetitive to keep saying “Hey guys, you should really check out this link.” Since no one had used a contest before, I thought this might be a good way to get people to visit the site and post their score for others to see. By offering a free dinner to the person with the highest Klout Score, I had a plethora of people posting their scores.
But I soon found that the contest turned dry because Janine had posted such a high score. I found a way around this, however; I told the community that I would post an embarrassing photo of myself if 10 people reported their scores. I think that this truly got more people involved in the competition, regardless of their Klout Score. The key wasn’t the score – it was to get people to visit the site and learn something about metrics.
Difficult to Change User Behavior
One thing that I noticed throughout the semester thus far is the fact that our class has been using the Google+ community much more than it has been using Twitter. I tried to post some information on Twitter, but it seemed to be going nowhere.
It is very difficult to change user behavior – this is something I have encountered when it comes to application design. Unfortunately, I did not come up with a creative way to get the community to use the Twitter hashtag. I challenge future moderators to achieve this.